Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Riding the Wave of Imagination

by Karen D. Swim, Photo: Juria Yoshikawa, Flicrk.com

2287826107_0de927b881
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions."
-- Albert Einstein

Children are quite inventive. A spoon can function as a microphone, drumstick or magic wand. Blankets and chairs can instantly be transformed into a tent in the wilderness or a fort requiring protection from the bad guys. In childhood we give free reign to our imagination and allow ourselves to be catapulted as far as our minds will take us. And then we grow up.

Imagination is: 1: the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality 2 a: creative ability b: ability to confront and deal with a problem : resourcefulness c: the thinking or active mind : interest (Merriam Webster Dictionary)

Imagination unleashes possibilities not yet seen. Children are able to do this effortlessly as their logic has not yet fully developed to hinder the process. As adults we imagine but often reason it away with logic.

Imagination however leads to innovation which is one of the keys to business success. Giving free reign to your creative senses can help you solve problems and challenges in your professional and personal life. With imagination we can find breakthroughs and inventive solutions. If only we are willing to exercise the mental muscle that asks "what if?"

Another benefit of imagination is hope. Imagining what could be gives room for our dreams to grow and restores hope in our potential. We see ourselves and our surroundings from a different perspective when we let go and take a magic carpet ride over the horizon.

When was the last time you allowed yourself to imagine without censure? I triple double dog dare you to let your imagination run free today. There's room in the sandbox (also known as the comment box), come in and tell us your stories. Imagine the possibilities!

somerights20Photo licensed through Creative Commons, some rights reserved. Please do not copy or distribute without attribution to the photographer.

9 comments:

Steph said...

I completely hear what you're saying. I think imagination is one of the most versatile and wonderful gifts. However, I think Einstein's comment, specifically, is basically summarizing the law of attraction. He believed in that.
As for my own imagination, I don't use it as often as I used to, but I do allow myself to daydream about (or imagine or envision) what I want my business to be like, the kind of clients and work I want, etc. I imagine myself working and getting a job done on time, payments coming in on time and plentifully. I imagine interacting with clients in a positive way, and feeling fantastic about a job I'm doing. It's half the battle of making all that come true!

Brett Legree said...

Very good post Wonder Woman... you are so right, imagination is one of the keys to business success.

It seems to have disappeared from my company. That's why I need to move on - can and will!

I spend several hours a week - just sitting and thinking about what could be. What will be.

Anonymous said...

I believe in the power in imagination and as a writer and artist I use it all the time. Now hanging out at the Penmen's new fanstasy playground, it is getting an overdrive work out!

Unknown said...

@Steph, I also love Einstein's quote about imagination being more important than knowledge. Keats also wrote an excellent essay that discusses imagination. I know that all your imagining will become a reality. :-)

@Brett, my kilted Wonder friend, I thought of you and Friar as I wrote this post. It's really sad that companies don't allow our imaginations to run wild. Imagine if that was always the case, you and I would have never connected through this awesome thing called the internet. :) Can and will, can and will!

@Wendi, I can honestly validate that you do and I think it's wonderful. Part of imagination for me is letting it run free forming its own connections. Even when I am not the object of my imagination I am able to bear the fruits from my musings. Glad you're having fun with the Pen Men. I signed up early on but have so dropped the ball.

Anonymous said...

I get bored easily.

So I am constantly living in my own imagination and fantasy land.

Especially at boring meetings at work! I can be pretending to listen, I'm looking at the person speaking, nodding my head. But I could be a million miles away.

Sometimes I wonder how many other people in the room are doing the same?

- Friar

Anonymous said...

Albert Einstein also said "imagination if more important than knowledge." It is the precursor to everything. It is good to do nothing, like you said before, because this often stimulates the imagination. Some people call imagination, divine, like Terence McKenna. He was an interesting guy. Let imagination play before the editor reigns you in.

Unknown said...

@Friar, smart people usually get bored easily. :-) It's true! You need to be mentally stimulated and when that doesn't happen... at your company though I bet more are daydreaming than listening. LOL!

@Ellen, I so agree! I make a distinction between imagination and envisioning your success. I think when we envision we are focusing our thoughts on what we want and yes it does require a bit of imagination. Pure imagination in my mind is unhindered, you're not directing your thoughts but rather allowing them to carry you where they may. As adults, I don't think we do this enough.

Brett Legree said...

@Karen,

I keep telling Friar about a report I found about a year ago (wish I could find it...)

It correlated IQ with life potential and suitability for corporate life.

In a nutshell, people who were average or just slightly clever tended to do well in corporate management - smart enough to figure out how it works, but not caring about the hypocrisy.

People who were significantly above average tended to have trouble accepting things - got frustrated - and (hopefully) moved on to self-employment.

Now, not sure how valid the study was, but boy, it sure rang true with me when I read it...

Can and will, my friend :)

Unknown said...

@Brett, I'd love to read that report. It rings true to me too. @Friar, get out man, get out!

My kilted wonder friend, can and will! Niebu!