Monday, May 19, 2008

The Power of A Moment

by Karen D. Swim

Thunderstorm

Photo: Flickr.com|pasotraspaso

Brief encounters can pack a powerful punch. This is the thought that ran through my mind as I watched the big fat raindrops fall from what had been a beautiful clear sky.

It was quiet and peaceful, a perfect Saturday. I ran errands enjoying the easy tempo of the day. The sun began to fade behind the clouds and the sky darkened. Just as I entered the long drive of my development, huge drops burst forth from the sky. The winds grew high and the drops fell hard and heavy. And then as suddenly as it started, it ended.

I reached my door with canvas shopping bag and noticed that the door was drenched with water, and the dirt from the garden had scattered around the walkway. In less than a minute the brief thunderstorm had transformed the landscape around it.

Like the thunderstorm, our thoughts, attitudes and actions impact the landscape and people around us. As we rush about through our days we may forget that we are connected to the world and people around us. Every small encounter has an impact. In other words we matter, so our words, actions and attitudes matter too.

In less than a minute we can transform ourselves too. In a moment of stress, taking a minute to breathe deeply and focus only on the rise and fall of breath can lower your blood pressure and calm your mind. A minute enjoying the world through your child's eyes can give you a new perspective. As I entered my house I renewed my determination to be present and to relish each moment.

Each moment does count, what will you do with yours today?

Join the discussion and share your thoughts! if you like what you read, I'd love it if you would add the blog to your reader. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that sometimes it't the little things I do that might have an impact when I feel powerless. Like today, when I was talking to my husband about what was happening in Myanmar. I feel so helpless. How can I help all the suffering people in the world? I can't. But I think I will volunteer at a hospice soon. It will be a good thing to do.

Unknown said...

Ellen, I relate. I think the key is to not focus on the bigger picture but to take those small actions consistently. If we all take small actions it adds up to a firestorm of change. I spent many after school hours in hospice (my mom was a Nurse) and it had a powerful and lasting impact on my life.